Tuesday 11 October 2011

cohabiting with clothes.

My boyfriend and I love clothes.
Especially me.

Growing up, my family didn't put much emphasis onto designer labels. Since becoming an adult, I've made up for that.

When Vlado and I moved in, he was shocked at the amount of clothes I had and asked for me to donate "a little bit" - 2 garbage bags later, and my amount of clothes was still ridiculous.

Eventually, he had to come to terms that his regular shirts were now work shirts, and often, he would find new clothes of his own in the closets.

I had to come to terms with sharing closet space.
Which was hard. Very hard.
Heres how we organize our clothes.
We fought long and hard to make this system work for us.
1. Our closet. From left to right - We put our hoodies together but only the expensive ones (100$ and up) then we have my tanktops/camisoles - designer t-shirts, fancy short sleeves, regular longsleeve, fancy longsleeve, sweaters.
Then it goes into Vlados' designer t-shirts, longsleeve, sweaters, jeans.


Then, in the left drawer, is Vlados boxers, socks, etc. On the right are my personals. 
Above our respected areas are my pajama collection. I'm an addict for pajama pants...  

Behind my pajama collection are my 3-4 jeans that are size 2 and too big. Eventually, I will fit them and they were expensive so I can't part with them. 

Then Vlados jeans.. this boy has over 20 pairs of JEANS. WHAT?!?!



Vlados workshirts on the top. These are plain, have stains, cheap, etc., ( more)Vlados jeans and laze-around-the-house pants.


On one side are my jeans and skirts, and summer clothes. Then my lululemon pants below alongside my leggings, my sweatpants, etc.




This is our spareroom closet and it has our expensive shirts and dresses for nights out.. I think alot of my dresses are at my moms right now, or the drycleaners.. 


This is Vlados' workclothes. As soon as he walks in, his workpants, jacket, t-shirts, socks go in the basket. Well, the dirty clothes go on the floor and the clean things go in the basket. Its filled to the top with his hoodies, socks, etc.

Finally, our jackets. My snowboarding jacket, our leather jackets, my wool and jean jacket, our bench jackets. Those go in here. In the little blue box is my snowboarding gear and his baseball hats, my toques, mittens, etc.
Laundry

We decided that I do the actual laundry while he has to carry it up and down the stairs for me. We do laundry when we need something (ie all out of underwear or work shirts, or we need socks, or we are out of hoodies. By the time we get to do laundry, we usually have 2-4 loads to do at once)

Once laundry is done, we dump it on the couch and do it together while watching T.V. First, we make two piles of laundry
1. Clothes to be hung up.
2.Clothes that need to be folded.

One person is in charge of the pile for folding. They fold, put it away, put socks together, etc. I like this job more.

The other is in charge of putting hangers on and going to the various closets and hanging them up in the appropriate area.

So there ya' have it. Hope it helps in the adventures of co-habiting!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment